Sunday 19 April 2015

Yummy vegan chia seed pancakes!

Hey there good friends! 

I have recently created my own routine of going through a crazy week with breakfasts such as yogurt and granola, or oatmeal. However, on the weekends I think it's quite nice to settle down and make an even more delicious, (yet still healthy) breakfast. So the only answer that lies is PANCAKES.

Pancakes (and waffles) have to be the most comforting breakfast food that never leave me unsatisfied. Most pre-made pancake batters, and home made recipes call for things like butter, and refined sugars. But when I stepped back I thought "It's just a batter, I can put anything I want in to it!"

That's when I started experimenting with different recipes that included super foods like flax, and coconut flour. Sadly, many didn't meet my expectations... So I resorted to Bobs Redmill pancake & waffle mixes. These are much better than regular pancake mixes are delicious and I recommend them if you have yet to find your own recipe or if you're in a pinch. They call for the usual eggs, milk, and oil. I subbed those for almond milk, and coconut oil, which did not compromise the taste in anyway! 

Until one glorious day when I discovered a recipe for vegan pancakes, and thought "hey, why not?!"
Instead of using milk you can sub in almond milk, or any non-dairy milk, obviously! But the real shocker was the use of chia seeds! I had seen so many substitutions of chia seeds, and flax eggs but never ended up going through with it.


When I tried this recipe I was beyond shocked, they came out fluffy, delicious, and better than I expected!
I decided to then play around with this recipe and concept to make it my own.


Ingredients you'll need! 

  • 1 cup spelt or whole wheat flour
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1-2 tbsp raw cane sugar or coconut sugar (your preference)
  • pinch of sea salt
  • 3 tbsp chia seeds 
  • 1 cup almond milk (or any nony-dairy milk)
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/4 tsp coconut oil (for greasing)

Instructions

  • Combine all ingredients together in a bowl. Starting with dry ingredients and then wet ingredients.
  • Whisk all ingredients together really well. 
  • Let the batter sit for 5-10 minutes until all binded together and has a thicker consistency. Meanwhile, heat a pan and add coconut oil.
  • Pour around 2 tbsp of batter on to the heated pan. Flip when bubbles form around the pancake.
  • Serve with almond butter, maple syrup and  fruit of your choice.

Until next time,

Tyler 


No comments:

Post a Comment